4/16/2009

Movie Diary: Wall-E.

OK, here's a post I need to get out of my system before I wait too long and it fades in my memory:

The night before last, I saw "Wall-E." I liked it a lot, but it's hard to feel like there's much of worth to say about a movie like this, that everyone and their 6 year old nephew has already seen. I mean, is there any reason for me to post even the shortest of plot summaries here? I think not. You all know what it's about. I do have a few thoughts I'll go ahead and share, though. First of all, I really liked how little of the movie relied on any sort of complex dialogue. The two main robots have about half a dozen words that they say, between the two of them, and yet they never seemed lacking in their ability to communicate with each other and with the audience. I felt even at the time I first heard about it that the outrage from the fat-acceptance community about the people on the spaceship was misplaced, and now, having seen the movie, I'm certain that it is. The fact that the human characters in this movie had all ended up fat made perfect sense in light of the setting and environment they lived in. It was more the fault of the Wal-Mart-ish corporation that dominated their lives than anything they personally had done. And on a happier note, I loved watching Wall-E do his little dances along with his old musical video ("Hello, Dolly," apparently), and I thought it was hilarious when Eve joined in and nearly brought Wall-E's house down. The movie surprised me with its humor throughout; I wasn't expecting nearly as many laugh-out-loud moments as there were. And by the way, the moments of interaction between the spaceship's captain (voiced by Jeff Garlin, whom I'm always glad to see getting work) and Auto, the autopilot robot, were pretty great too. I also enjoyed the little cleaner robot and his quixotic quest to clean up all of Wall-E's tracks. Hell, I just had a blast throughout this whole movie. At this point, I'd say "Wall-E" has displaced "The Incredibles" as my favorite Pixar film (though, come to think of it, I still haven't seen "Ratatouille", and I really should).

Oh, and by the way, "Wall-E" was amusing and all, but one of the cartoon shorts on the DVD, "Presto," about a magician with a magic hat who doesn't feed his pet rabbit before he does a show and ends up having to deal with constant sabotage from the rabbit as a result, was an absolute scream. I pretty much didn't stop laughing throughout that one. If you haven't seen it, you must take the 5 minutes and watch it on Youtube. Trust me, it's SO worth it.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home