10/07/2005

It's raining...

...and things are dead here at work. I've got two and a half hours before I can go home and they are crawling by. I'm reading a collection of Stephen King interviews and trying not to fall asleep behind the cash register. I'm continuing the trend that's manifested over the past couple of weeks and listening to a lot of Jeff Buckley, and it's in his music that I've found the perfect song for this rainy afternoon.

The last song on the posthumous compilation "Sketches For 'My Sweetheart the Drunk'" is the only song on that two-disc set that was not a demo Jeff had recorded in preparation for his second album. Instead, that song is from a session Jeff did on a radio show in 1992, before he even had a record deal, and it's a cover of the old Porter Wagoner song "Satisfied Mind." This is one of those rare recordings you hear that really captures the sound of the room in which the song was originally played. No matter what volume at which it's played back, you get a crystal clear sense of the points during the song in which Jeff was strumming his guitar quietly or loudly, belting out the lyrics or dropping down to a hushed near-whisper. You can't help but feel like he's right there in the room with you, reacting to the rainy, dreary day with his melancholy rendering of one of the more powerful songs America has ever produced. It's the perfect thing to listen to on a day like this, and nothing else I've got with me is even coming close to the feeling it generates.

That's all I've got for you today; take care.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home